September

September

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Late September.

From the pages of Stillmeadow Seasons, by my favorite of all authors ~ Gladys Taber.

"The cool and sparkling days of late September flow like golden wine into the bowl of autumn. I cannot have enough of each day; I try to measure the minutes sparingly, for this is the time of enchantment. The leaves are turning, and I wonder whether I ever saw them before, for the colors are a new miracle of blended tones. Surely this year it is a lovelier autumn; the maples have a clearer fire, the oaks are a richer burgundy. And the goldenrod - was it Thoreau who called it spilled sunshine? The wild asters break their purple waves over the old stone fences. The upland meadows are beautiful, a brown suffused with gold."



5 comments:

  1. What a lovely 'painting' of your colorful garden. It is hard to believe this is the last day of Sept.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kit... what a beautiful post and photo! My very favorite time of year and most favorite of all colors... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! Did you paint that picture? I love it!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice from Taber! It sums up the season so beautifully. Love the photo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this, Kit - the picture and the words!

    ReplyDelete