July

July

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Earthquake!

By now I am sure you all have heard about the earthquake in Montana. We are just fine and though I got a bit startled at the time, our home has not received any damage and except for a bit of lost sleep, life is fine. It is only the second one I have gone through and this one was much stronger. It hit around 12:30 am and it is amazing that I knew what it was right away. The bed started to move back and forth in a rolling motion and the house made a groaning sound, and my cat meowed and gave me a dirty look like he thought it was me! Hubby and I went out into the living room and noticed that my collection of glass floats that hang from our ceiling were all swaying back and forth. As were the art pieces that hang in the windows. I texted my girls to see how they were doing (they were fine) and got online to see if anyone else was up and wondering, what the hell? I was amazed how far away it was felt. We live about 77 miles from the epicenter. So there you have it, my excitement in the middle of the night. I must say, it was hard to go back to sleep and I have to tell you, I was still getting the stink eye from my cat....lol  Always, Kit


7 comments:

Liz D said...

Thank you for posting! I was worried about you. We've had a few earthquakes, small?, in NY, and they re always scary. The experience is so odd, to see the room wobble, or in one case, the bath water to slosh madly as the linen closet door fell off its tracks. I'm so relieved that you and your family and home [and stink eye kitty] are OK!!

love

lizzy

Diane said...

I immediately thought of you and your family, Kit but I couldn't find your email. Glad you made it through. That one was close enough. Talked to my daughter in Billings and she reminded me that Lincoln is where they found the unibomber! Stay warm today, blessings, Diane

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I thought about you when I read there was a quake in Montana. That was a pretty good size one too. We have one about once a year with an epicenter about 150 miles south of here. But you still can feel the ground move. Once the glasses in my hutch clinged. I can't imagine being closer to the center. It's pretty unsettling. Our dogs always seem to know before hand it will happen, but we always wonder why they are acting weird, then we know.

Glad you all are safe and sound.
xx, Carol

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I hadn't heard about the earthquake but am glad to read that you are ok, except for dirty looks from your cat. :-)

Happy summer ~ FlowerLady

Pom Pom said...

Wow! I'm glad you're okay and nothing was damaged. How funny that the cat thought you were up to shenanigans! Aren't you getting ready to go to Oregon?

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Ben is here visiting so have not read news yet today. Glad you are well. Scary stuff though. I've only been through 2 very mild ones from far away.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Yikes! I've never experienced an earthquake--sounds scary! So glad that you and yours are fine.

frances