June

June

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Bloomsday 2017

Every year for 29 years, we load up the car and head to Spokane, Washington on the first weekend in May. It is the largest footrace we attend (usually 40 to 50 thousand runners are signed up) and it is a 12K. Both my hubby and youngest girl run in it and we go over a day early to enjoy the city and spend time together. I found us a new and lovely hotel this year called the Davenport Grand and it certainly was! So beautiful and modern. And more importantly, very comfortable and this year we got the girls their own room. I had to concede that 2 girls in their 30's would probably like a little more privacy, but it made me smile that they spent more time in our room than theirs...lol 

We spent Saturday picking up packets, doing some shopping at our favorite shops and eating dinner at an Irish pub while watching the Kentucky Derby. We wandered Riverfront Park and then settled in our room to watch a little TV and play a game and just chat. 








Sunday morning had us up early and our two runners headed to the start all dressed in their finest while my oldest and myself could take our time, pick up coffee and breakfast and stroll thru the park to the finish line.  We sit on a stoop by the road and watch for my hubby to go by, as the songs from Chariots of Fire and Rocky play on a loop. And finish he did, in 57:02. Not bad for an old man. :) We then wait for my youngest to come and find us in the park (near the giant red wagon) when she finishes. The park fills up with runners and their families and the mood is always happy and festive. I sat on a concrete "kids block" with my face toward the sun and thought, it doesn't get any better than this. 



Soon it was time to leave, and we headed to lunch at the Olive Garden and motored home. Such a beautiful drive, and such a wonderful weekend together. :) Always, Kit

7 comments:

Diane said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. It's really great that you had such nice weather, too. Thanks for the nice comment about Mother. I hope you have a perfect Mother's Day. Diane

Blondie's Journal said...

Hurray for those athletes of yours!! Your guy definitely still has it! I know you are proud of your running daughter and your companion/spectator daughter. How I'd love to get away on a family adventure like this. The hotel looked wonderful and I think the best part would be having a ball in one room!

Thanks for the photos, you have a sweet family, Kit. And Happy Mother's Day.

Jane x

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

29 years, wow! Your husband should get an award just for that. Kudos to him and your youngest for participating. Sounds like a nice getaway. I did 4 kms yesterday in an hour, of course, I'm stopping to take pictures, feed kitties, crochet, etc so not just walking. :) Happy mother's day!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Fabulous!! What a great weekend for your family. Glad the weather was good too.
Happy Mother's Day. Looks like yours came early.
xx, Carol

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Sounds perfect to me : D

Pom Pom said...

What fun! We lived in Spokane for seven years (had two of our babies there!) I even ran when we lived there!
Isn't Riverfront Park lovely! When I was a child we went to the World's Fair there. Your runners did great! Applause!

Angie said...

I have former work colleagues in Spokane. I have put this on the list of things to do in the future. Thanks for the tip! And glad to see someone continue to do well with running at his age - there is hope for me!