May

May
(internet)

Monday, April 25, 2016

Hubby Retired!

Well, after 40 years in retail, my love and I decided, that that was quite enough. He has provided wonderfully for his wife and children and now it is time for him to be able to sleep in, work on his many projects (clocks, ray guns, new garden structures) and if he feels like doing a few household chores, I won't mind one bit...LOL By the way, I will still be working for another 5 years or so, I am a bit younger. Last week was a bit stressful and tiring but a lot of fun too. We got a wonderful send-off and a great start to our new phase of life. I am really excited! 


This is my handsome guy when he first started at KMart as the Toy Dept Manager. Any wonder I scooped him up as soon as possible? We finally left the corporation, and headed home to Montana in 1988 and he started his next career in hardware. 


He worked hard and steady and became the manager of the biggest store, of the 5 in our "fleet". Never missing a day of work, always working more hours than I liked. But he liked a clear desk at the end of the day. Integrity. 


He arrived at his retirement luncheon up in Nine Pipes (a gorgeous wet lands north of here) in style and with his right hand man riding shotgun. That is Meg, one of the wonderful owners of the stores.

Everyone was there, all the managers and assistant managers and staff of the other stores. It was a great crowd. A video was created and brought tears to everyone's eyes. 


Em and I joined Steve on his last day at his store and said our Good-byes to everyone. Lots of kisses and hugs, and "please don't go's". 

Then on Saturday night, Em and I took him to dinner for steaks and gifts. (my oldest is currently in New England on business) Though we did a little Facetime at dinner. It was fun and he loved everything. We even got a free Montana Mud Pie to celebrate with. Horrible pic, we had already dove in....LOL It was super yummy!

.

He received lots of cards and gifts and well wishes, and I think it finally dawned on him, what an impact he had made on a lot of people. He was a awesome boss and I know he will be missed.

We are off on our next adventure. A close friend gave this handmade wooden tray and mugs to Steve and told him, "Now you and Kit can sit down and have a cup of coffee together in the mornings." And that is just what we are going to do! Always, Kit

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Oh KK I am so happy and excited for the two of you. Congratulations to Steve.

Love and hugs and happy wishes for many more wonderful, relaxed days together.

FlowerLady

Liz D said...

Oh Kit this made me tear up, happy tears though, what a huge milestone. Your guy must be a wonderful man, but what made me cry was the love that shines thru every word you ve written here. Best wishes to both of you, enjoy the changes, have the BEST future.

[off topic, but I find it amusing...my ex dreamed of retiring young, and wow, he did! It lasted about three weeks, and while he is happy not to have the burden of owning & running a busy medical practice, he finds he is happiest with a bunch of patients in the waiting room, having folks he can help. So much for ''retired young."]

hugs

lizzy

Lurena Sheary Williamson said...

Congrats to your hubby! Happy times ahead for you both in this next chapter- how exciting!!

Diane said...

Congratulations. Everything is going to change now for all of you. How exciting. Diane

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Congrats to Steve on his retirement. Makes it even more special knowing that he was well loved and made such a positive impact on those around him. I'm sure he will stay very busy doing all the things he loves.

Susan said...

Congrats to your forever love on his retirement. He deserves it. So happy for you both. susan