April

April
(internet)

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

My Christmas

Hard to believe that another Christmas is in the books. I never feel like it flies by, since I enjoy the whole month and I pack alot of stuff into it, but as I take down decorations and pack them away for next year, I shake my head and I realize, it is over. :( I do love my Christmas. I am like a little kid, and I want more surprises and more laughter and more fun! To say that this Christmas was exceptional is an understatement. There was a freedom to celebrate, a feeling of wanting to, in a word, spread joy and it made me feel so light and happy. 


I am really lucky in that I get to have my two daughters here for the holiday. We spend Christmas Eve together, and twice on Christmas Day (for gifts, and then for dinner and game playing). I prepare my Eve buffet and we feast and chat and listen to Christmas music. This year my hubby found these trinket balls (he and his sister had them as children) and he bought them for the girls. That was so much fun to share. And the girls loved them!


My Christmas's with my hubby began 37 years ago. I was in college and since they close the dorms down, I was going to have to move back home, and away from my new love. Not good. But I landed a job, house sitting for a couple for a week. Yay! We spent our first Christmas together in this little house on 5th Street. So this year I made an ornament to celebrate our very first Christmas. We both got a bit teary recounting the time and incredibly, we live only 3 blocks from that house! I pass it every day on my way to work. :)


I couldn't have asked for a more picturesque Christmas with all our snow. It sets the mood. The girls gave us such lovely and thoughtful gifts and they gave us a memory. We love to give each other memory gifts. Sometimes homemade, sometimes something bought in an antique store or something from a person who has passed on. This year, while they shopped a vintage market, they spied two vintage Christmas candle decorations and they remembered our tales of our Christmas in Sheridan, Wyoming. I was pregnant with my oldest and we had decorated our home and we had these two candles on the step and each night my hubby had to run outside and unplug them. For a month, in very very cold temps and snow! No timers back then...LOL As we began to move around with the company they got sold or given away. And now we have them back.We were so thrilled! 


Plus, my oldest daughter made me a wonderful charm bracelet recalling the time we had in New Mexico this year. She designs the charms herself, with her own artwork and using photos. My youngest made me an "Ellie" Adventure Book from our trip to Disneyland, with lots of pics of the two of us. So thoughtful and so wonderful!


So there you have it. A wonderful Christmas as ever there was one! I leave you with the latest Santa in my collection, lovingly carved by my hubby each year. He calls this a New Jersey Santa, a nod to my home state....LOL  I love it! Always, Kit


6 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Your family does have so much fun together. So wonderful to see. That carved Santa is totally awesome. Wishing you all the best for the new year! Tammy

Pom Pom said...

So much love and joy! The Santa is pretty awesome!

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh, Kit...this is such an endearing post! I simply can't take Christmas down---my tree is healthy and not dropping a single needle. We turn on the lights first thing each morning!

I love your family pics and the picture of your first place is so darn cute. Love the photo of you and your guy---such a long time together!!

I'm happy to hear you had a lovely Christmas but you are all about family as we are so I knew it would be special!

Love to you and a Happy New Year!

Jane x

Left-Handed Housewife said...

What a wonderful Christmas! I wish we'd had your snow--here in NC it was 75 degrees on Christmas day, which is to say unusually warm and not very Christmas-y. I love those candles!

frances

Diane said...

A lovely Christmas it sounds like. Your husband is very good at carving, cute Santa. I live in Sheridan, Wyoming!?!?) Thanks for your encouragement and love. Happy New Year to you and yours. Diane

Liz D said...

What a wonderful Christmas! You have so many special traditions. I remember those trinket balls! We had them, my dad would get them in Chinatown, in NYC. [isn t that odd? Now you can buy them on etsy.]. And the carved Santa from your husband is so special. The big candles made me laugh! What goes around, comes around?

Best wishes for a lovey happy year, my dear friend

lizzy at the beach