June

June

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Back To School!

Though it still feels like high summer over here in the mountains, it is time to return to work. As most of you know, I am a Food Service Manager at my high school, isn't that fancy? That is what I am listed as, but in reality I go by the loving term of Lunch Lady. :) It is a job I hold dear and unlike some of the folks who were mourning the loss of the summer, I love going back.  The energy that a school gives a person is amazing! I am so lucky in the fact, that I am the one and only person in my program and my school allows me full rein to do what I want with my kitchen and lunch room. So I go hog wild with the decor and make my space bright and interesting.


One of the favorite things in my kitchen is my magnet collection. It amazes me how many students love to come in and chat and ask me all about the places they represent. They are a real "ice breaker". And now my family knows just what to get me when they travel. :)


I like my lunch room to feel more like a cafe, so I pick up table covers and silk flowers on sale and decorate according to the season. At first when I started doing this, students just weren't sure. Their other schools never had table covers and the only color seemed to be stainless steel! But I won them over quickly and now if they are missing, they want to know why. :)


My pride and joy is my display case. Every month I bring from home some antiques and decor and dress it up! When some remodeling was done in the school I found out just how much the staff and students loved it. High on the list was not to demolish "Kit's" case and to reinstall it, so that she can keep decorating. :) And I have.


So, work started last Wed. and all went well. My youngest made sure I had my "Back to School" gift basket surprise waiting in my Jeep. It was wonderful and makes the start of the year so much fun. As you can see, I got lots of school supplies and of course, some decor. Cheers to a new year! Always, Kit

9 comments:

Liz D said...

My lunchroom never looked like that! Tho the food was quite good, best peach cobbler anywhere, and really great spaghetti too. [when you say you are the only person---you cannot mean you are the only person preparing / serving...maybe you re the person in charge?]

Have a wonderful school year , tho doesn t it seem you just ''got out'' for the summer?

lizzy

Blondie's Journal said...

Kit...you go above and beyond your job requirements and that is so special---I know the students feel that way, too. The fact that they come to you to talk. Wow! Every school should have lunchrooms and cafeterias to make the kids feel more 'at home', happy and secure. Kudos to you!

Jane x

Lurena Sheary Williamson said...

Kit, you are amazing!! I love that you put such a personal touch to the "Kit Cafe" you are putting magical memories in all the kids heads. They will reflex in later years and take joy in the uniqueness of the lunch room experience. Wish I could visit. Best wishes for a great school year ahead.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Happy New School Year dear Kit. You are a wonderful 'Lunch Lady' and you bless all of the kids you come in contact with.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I have no doubt that you are the best Lunch Lady ever. I don't know many people that would put that much effort into a school cafeteria. Fantastic! I wish I knew about the magnet thing earlier -- I could send you so many from around the world.

Pom Pom said...

Wow, Kit! What a wonderful atmosphere you've created! How sweet! I BET the kids love it and love YOU!

Diane said...

You are such a great example of BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED. And so many people benefit - including you. Diane

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I love your lunchroom! I don't remember any of the school cafeterias I ate in as a kid being quite so fabulous! I'm sure the students look for any excuse to come visit you.

frances

Diane said...

Thank you for your touching comments, Kit. I feel your love and kindness. Diane