October

October
(internet)

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Change it Up

I was reading a post from my friend Susan, and she was mentioning taking down her Valentine decor and putting up Easter and she always asks a question (which I love!) at the end of her blog. And as I answered, it got me to thinking about my decorating habits. Some might think I am crazy, but I hope others will think, that's cool. I change out my decor each month in my main living space.


 I love to collect and we all know when we are collectors, there's the problem of where do we put all the stuff. I can't possibly put it out all at the same time. So I started boxing it all up and storing it in my storage area in the basement. That was sad. :(  I would forget some items for years! So I hit on an idea. Each month my treasures would have their time to shine. Most of the time it is related to color or what ever holiday is featured that month. That makes it easy. Also making it easier is a large cupboard with doors where I store the items instead of a cardboard box.




The 4 major holidays have their own time (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter) but for the other 8 months, they go like this: January, after all the green and red of the holidays, I go for a peaceful blue and brown decor. February, lots of red and black. March, is of course green! April is the only time I allow pastels and tons of bunnies into my house...LOL With May and June, it gets easy and I stick to lots of green with floral accents. July is when I have returned from Oregon and my home goes nautical. Lots of blue and white. August and September share a little bit with tones of gold and green and garden themed items.That's it! I get to appreciate all my special items and it sure keeps me from getting bored with the look of my home. So guess what I am doing tomorrow? :) Always, Kit



4 comments:

  1. How fun, Kit! What a great idea! Your home always looks loved and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! How energetic! You ll recall I change everything by the season, plus I add extras for the holidays. It s the only way possible to enjoy large oddball collections, like my German papier mache Easter egg candy containers, or all my orange aka cheddar quilts [Halloween].

    Your home looks so interesting and loved.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. Looking forward to your new look. Blessings, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kit, what a great idea. I love your way of decorating. We'd get along just fine! ha! Kindred spirits. Thanks for all your sweet visits. Susan

    ReplyDelete