October

October
(internet)

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

It's Prep Day!

And I love it! I am so lucky that our school district gives us this day off before the holiday. I would like to think it is to help all those bakers and chefs out there scrambling to get everything done, but I think it has more to do with the fact that the University is closed, so all schools are closed. But either way, I love it! Woke early to snow everywhere and I was pleased. I turned on all my little lites, grabbed some tea and just enjoyed. But now I am in work mode and ready to get going. 



The menu each year is always the same, and I think if I changed it, my family would rebel. Tried and true recipes, nothing fancy or elaborate. In fact most of my recipes come right off the can or box and they always come out just right. Years ago, I sent in my box tops (remembering doing that?) and received a recipe booklet of Jello molds and what meats they go with. Who knew?



Every holiday I use this book and it shows. A splotch of lime jello here, cherry there. For Thanksgiving, it is Raspberry Cranberry Mold. And oh, how delich! Whole cranberry sauce, mandarin oranges and Granny Smith apples. When I wanted a better presentation, I sent in more box tops and received the Official Jello Mold kit. And I have now used it for 30 years! For this holiday, it will sport the Heart on top. Of course. :)



When we will be playing games around the table on Thanksgiving night, the snack of choice is Chex Mix. There is just something about it that says, The Holidays! Well, I sent in my box tops again and got this cute tin, with the recipe on the inside of the lid (so I would never lose it). I have changed up this recipe a bit and have switched to using Crispix and less salt, but it is still great. 



And finally, with my vintage glass pie plate and my can of Libby's pumpkin, I will knock out our favorite Pumpkin Pie. My mother used the recipe on the can and made the best pie in the world. So I shall do the same. Why fix what isn't broken?



Well, I better get crackin'!  Have a very Happy Holiday!
 Always, Kit

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have the day off, Kit! My daughter (the teacher) has the day off as well but she took off for Starbucks to get some work done.

    I had to laugh about the rebellion if you change as recipe. I've learned that lesson as well. Now I just add new things...never subtract! My late sister, Leslie, always made a Jello mold or salad for every occasion. She just loved the whole retro idea of it. They were always good. I loved the ones with the Cool Whip mixed in, so pretty! And I am making the same pie, two in fact!!

    Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving, Kit. I have to get moving, too!! :)

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kit! You and me both! Lime Jello salad, Chex Mix, and Libby's pumpkin pie! Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same things today! So fun.
    I love your now-vintage! Jello mold, very cool.

    Happy Thanksgivng!

    lizzy at gone to the beach

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice having the day off before Thanksgiving. I did baking and cooking yesterday and look forward to doing the rest today. Oh the aromas that will be filling homes today.

    Have a wonderful time with your family.

    Gear up for tomorrow. I know you and your youngest head out early every Black Friday. Have fun.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete