August

August

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Playing Nurse


For two years we have talked about it, planned for it and on August 13th, the day arrived. My youngest, E.Charlotte went in for reconstructive jaw surgery. Even the name makes me cringe. We found out her jaw never fully developed and it was causing all sorts of teeth problems. First teeth had to be removed, new bone was added, implants were inserted, implants were removed :( , braces were attached and then we waited. When they deemed it was ready, the surgeon went in and moved her jaw forward (you can just imagine how) and cut her top pallet and spread her top teeth. With metal plates and countless screws she is back together and we are mending. She spent one night in the hospital (and I camped out with her) the swelling has been horrendous, the pain nasty, but her spirit is wonderful. I have never seen such strength and tolerance. She does me proud!

She is now back in her old room, and this week I will take care of her. I am very happy to. We have our ice bags, our pain killers, and liquid foods. I wish I could get more creative with how to prepare Chicken Broth....LOL We are watching her favorite shows, and we chat, her writing down and me doing all the talking. An odd reversal....LOL Hard to watch one we love, so uncomfortable, but she is mending. Before long this will be just a bad experience, and she will have a new and improved smile. And I can't wait to see that smile again. Always, Kit


Always a positive outlook. Getting ready to go in.

9 comments:

FlowerLady said...

Oh my, what an ordeal for E. to have to go through.

Love and hugs to her and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Having you as her loving nurse will do wonders.

Love and hugs to you also dear Kit,
FlowerLady

E. Charlotte said...

You treat me like a queen! It helps immensely. I would be a very sad, painful mess with out you as nurse. Love you!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Sending healing thoughts from Virginia!! I've worked in dentistry for over 25 years, and did a few years with an oral surgeon--I totally agree, all of this will be worth it in the end when Charlotte has a beautiful new smile! :-)

Pom Pom said...

Oh, that's hard to watch your girl suffer pain, but she has the BEST nurse! Praying she's all well soon!

Diane said...

All the very best to both of you. A mother suffers so much when her child suffers. Hope she'll be back up and talking soon. Diane

Junell said...

I can't imagine Em having a prettier smile - it's already fabulous! :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Glad to hear your daughter is doing well after her surgery. My girlfriend, Melissa, is going through the exact same thing. She already did the first part and the braces and as soon as her teeth move to where they need to be, she will have the final surgery to align her jaws. I cringe, too, when I think about it -- she loves to tell all the gory details, but has researched it significantly and seems to have heard only positive results ... so now I can relay your daughter's positive outcome to her, too. :) Take care! Tammy

Jen Kershner said...

Bless her heart! I was cringing in pain just reading about it. She is lucky to have a good Momma to nurse her.

Zuzu said...

Bless her heart ~ I know it will be wonderful having you near to cheer and comfort her as she heals, Kit.
BIG hugs,
Zuzu