June

June

Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's Day!

And a very Happy St. Patrick's Day to all! It is a rather gloomy day here today, but I don't care. I will don my green, put on my biggest smile and celebrate the fact that a young woman of 25 came to America in 1846 and gave me the heritage of being Irish. A fact I didn't realize until last year. But thanks to Ancestry.com I was able to do some research and found this incredible fact.

Her name was Eliza J. and she was born in 1821 in Ireland. She sailed to America on the ship, "Coronet" in steerage, and arrived in New York on May 18, 1846. Can you imagine her trip? What was she thinking? Was she excited to come to the "New World"? I would like to think she was thrilled for the adventure, but sad at leaving her home. (Like me when I travel) Well, she met and married a Mr. Darius/Dennis Moffitt (whose own family came from Ireland) and had a baby in 1848. Her name was Sally Anne and she was my Great Great Grandmother! She would go on to marry a Mr. Louis Borden and they would have my wonderful Great Grandmother Rose Borden of who I visited as a child and whom everyone loved. So that is my chain of heritage. Starting way back in Ulster, Ireland in 1663, with the Moffatt's and ending up with little ole me in Montana. It feels good to know, and to be Irish! I sorta had a feeling cause you know, I am a big fan of the potato and green
is my favorite color! :) Always, Kit


(My Great Grandmother Rose at my christening in 1955)

12 comments:

oldgreymare said...

My irish great grandparents came through Ellis with my grandmother Nettie.

Happy St Pat's!
xx
z

Pom Pom said...

What a great story! Happy St. Patrick's Day, Irish girl!

Julie Marie said...

How fun Kit!... love the photo of your great~grandparents... I love learning more about my family history as well... oh, the stories there must be to tell!... Have fun at the parade... Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too!... xoxo Julie Marie

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I love the stories of how people came to this country!! I can only imagine the excitement and trepidation that 'Eliza J' felt as she came to this country not knowing what was ahead, but knowing it would probably be a better life! THANK YOU for sharing your story today, I really enjoyed it!! Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Diane said...

Great post Kit. Happy St. Patrick's Day you Irish lass! Diane

T's Daily Treasures said...

That is a great photo of your great grandmother. How lovely to have the photo and the bit of history. My uncle did an entire book on the McNair side of the family (which is my maiden name). Sadly he is gone and I don't have any of that information he collected over so many years. Hope your day is great. I'm off to bed. Goodnight! Tammy

Blondie's Journal said...

What a great story, Kit! Happy St. Paddy's Day! Celebrate!

XO,
Jane

lizzy said...

Wonderful story! How brave she was!And I love all your green blog sidebar pix.
Have a great day!

lizzy

Cheryl said...

Ahhh cool story, loved it!!
Hugs
Cxxx

injoyinmylife said...

Love your story! My grandmother was born in Ireland in 1890. She married my grandfather in Scotland, he was in the Royal Navy. They settled in England where my dad was born. Grandma sailed from Liverpool England to Canada with her 4 young boys in 1915, just a mere three years after the Titanic sunk on the same route. I think she must have been very courageous too. I love family history too.

Susan said...

Wow, Kit, you have a lot of Irish ancestry! Lovely story, tis tis. And a Happy St. Paddy's night to you!

Thanks for your visits and comments to my blog. Always a real pleasure to see you visited. Susan

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh how I love that photo of lovely Rose! The music is wonderful too. :)