April

April
(internet)

Friday, January 6, 2012

Little House on the Prairie

In this lovely month of January. I love to sit back and reflect on the past year. Nothing too mind boggling, just the highlights and only a few of the lowlights. Of course, Christmas just past springs to mind readily and I have to admire how crafty and clever my family can be.

Back in the Fall when asked what I wanted for Christmas I remarked, I have all I need and I told them, I wanted a Little House on the Prairie Christmas. Very simple. And they said, "So we get you a tin cup, a stick of candy and a penny?".....LOL And I said, sure! Well, they took it a little farther than that and as my youngest said to me later, "She loves having a theme!" Into the house they arrived on Christmas Day toting a basket filled with brown paper and gingham wrapped packages, a bag of oranges and a sawed off toy shotgun. With their best country accents, they wished Ma and Pa a Merry Christmas and said they had to ward off bears and cross a river but they made here safely. Oh, how we laughed! And as we opened our gifts we found presents dating back to the early 1900's! They had gone to our local antique mall and found for Pa: a hammer and plane for working in his shop. For me: a lace tablecloth and iron! But the biggest surprise was from my oldest girl. She has always been quite the "artist and creator of things beautiful and strange" and she made me an exact replica of the covered wagon that the Ingalls traveled in across the country. Including the family made out of clay. She had taken the book I have and reproduced the wagon from the pictures and I can't get over how exact it is, even to the look on Mary and Laura's faces as they rode in the back. Incredible! I of course just love it and am amazed at the work involved. It makes me grin every time I see it and I am one very lucky Ma! Always, Kit



(click on picture to see larger)

10 comments:

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hi Kit, it all sounds just wonderful!... and the little covered wagon and people is just too cute!... xoxo Julie Marie

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

You are a very 'lucky Ma' which made for a very memorable Christmas!!

I hope your New Year is off to a good start too!

Mary said...

Your daughter is extremely talented! I just love the wagon and characters! I must confess-I am a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder ( & Little House on the Prairie) fan. I have a book case filled with books, LHOTP calendars, paper dolls, so many things! Your Christmas sounded PERFECT!

lizzy said...

What an amazing work of art and imagination! So special ...and I love your idea of a Little House on the Prairie Xmas, oh how I loved the books years ago.

Have a wonderful peaceful January, dear Kit!

love

lizzy at gone to the beach

Pom Pom said...

Incredible! I love it! What a treasure. I am waiting for my new set of Little House books that I bought with Christmas gift cards! (Greedy, I already have my worn boxed set that I've been rereading for 30 years!)
How smart to suggest a theme for your Christmas celebration. I'm going to think about that!

Diane said...

Your family has so much fun together. That's just wonderful. She did an amazing job creating that for you. Can you imagine how she just loved working on it every second?

I love your header picture. She's a favorite of mine, too. Diane

injoyinmylife said...

I just love your family!!!! The gifts are amazing. You and so blessed.

Rustique Gal said...

Hi Kit,
I love the idea of a themed Christmas-Your covered wagon is spectacular! Your daughter surely is talented! What fun everyone had coming up with the perfect gifts!
Have a wonderful year,
Sherry

Cottage Tails said...

HOW did I miss this post???

OOh what an awesome awesome idea - me thinks we will steal your idea. THANK YOU

Love the wagon - what a treasure

Love Leanne

Decor To Adore said...

Now YOU KNOW I just love this! :)