June

June

Friday, December 30, 2011

The Gift

My family loves to surprise each other at the holiday. We try and think of clever and unique gifts. We fashion different ways to present them. Or we sneak around at work and home, and leave bags of goodies to make each other smile. Well this year, I was the one who ended up very surprised.

A little story to set the mood. Every year we would gather the girls up, load up the Jeep and head to Seeley Lake for a day of swimming and fun. All day long we would paddle about, the girls snorkeling, me floating on an inner tube, the hubby flopping about in his fins. But the iconic symbol to me of those wonderful days was our 4 chairs sitting on the beach. All in a row. Old metal mesh chairs, remember those? Our beach towels draped, various articles of clothing strung about, and from the lake I would think, that is our spot. Where we come and be a family and have a great time throughout the Summer. I took a picture from the lake one day. That must have been about 10 years ago. Until this Summer, we had not been to lake in many many years. The original chairs are long gone, we even have new towels (tho my girls still use the original ones) and new inner tubes. But the fun was the same. That day was very special for one Mom who had missed her grown children. I must have been talking about the old days, being silly and sentimental, because on Christmas Day I received such a wonderful gift.

I had no clue my youngest had paid such close attention (but really, doesn't she always?) out of this large box I pulled a canvas, framed in black. And when I flipped it over, I promptly burst into tears. What my children had done, was to take that little 3 x 5 aging photo of 4 old chairs and had it made into a lovely picture. I was so overwhelmed and so touched. We were all crying by this time and when I heard how hard it had been to get it just right, I cried some more. To some, it may seem like an awfully strange picture, but to me it is the perfect still life. Not only does it remind me of all those great days on the lake, it reminds me of two very special ladies that I am so proud to call my own. Always, Kit


8 comments:

Pom Pom said...

I love it! How perfect!
Lake days are good days!
Now I'm all teary!

FlowerLady said...

Dear KK ~ This fills my heart up to overflowing!

FlowerLady

Junell said...

What a great story - and you have a knack with words. I can imagine your fun-filled days at the lake. What a precious gift. :)

Diane said...

It's a wonderful picture! And it's even more special to you because of what it represents. Thanks for sharing Kit. I love it. Diane

Susan said...

OMG, Kit. My eyes are filled with tears reading this post. What an awesome gift. Did they have it painted or enlarged? That was SO THOUGHTFUL. What a great remembrance of happy days and special times. Susan

Kit said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments and Susan, my daughter had it enlarged and tweaked. I guess the file was so big, she couldn't use her own computer to upload it. The company she went thru was wonderful and took care of all the problems. It is amazing how clear it is. We can actually make out whose items are on the chairs! The photo is printed on artist canvas. Kit

lizzy said...

Such a beautiful gift---of love and happy memories...a very special treasure, Kit!

Happy New Year!

love

lizzy gone to the beach

Liesl said...

As soon as I saw the pic I got tears in my eyes too! Absolutely lovely! Happy new year to you and your sweet family!