March 22, 1978

March 22, 1978
(internet)

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Oregon - The Columbia River Gorge!

There's no place like home, there's no place like home. Except when you get to run away to a lovely place like Oregon. Ahhh, what can I say that I haven't said already. It is heaven! I want to do the state justice so I will share in bits and pieces.

There is a special place called the Columbia River Gorge. As you enter from the East, you encounter what my children used to call the "dry" place. Miles and miles of sage brush laden brown soil and rock. Not too many folks are fond of it, but oh how I find it lovely. You come around the corner at Biggs and there is Mt. Hood in all it's glory. The Gorge is also magical, because when you get to a town called Hood River, everything starts to change. It gets lush, and green and the river is dotted with windsurfers and barges. The town is quaint with lots of shops and great restaurants and wonderful people. For breakfast we found this wonderful cafe called Egg River. It seemed like everyone wanted to eat there and it took me two jumped curbs and a U-turn to get a parking spot. But it was worth it. Not only a great waffle, but right out the window was the most incredible view of the top of Mt. Rainer.

We stayed at a new place called the Columbia Cliff Villas, and it was lovely. And the best part? They are right next to the Columbia Gorge Hotel, a grand old "lady" with such stunning gardens and a water fall. We had a fabulous dinner of pheasant and fillet Mignon, in their posh dining room and strolled their gardens afterward. (I had to, the peanut butter cake dessert was going right to my hips!...LOL) And in the morning my husband took me to a secluded overlook and showed me the best view of the river I had ever seen. Perfect!



















Always, Kit

7 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for sharing Kit. It sounds like you're having a great time. I love that last shot. Blessings, Diane

FlowerLady said...

Another wonderful vacation for you two lovebirds. Did you collect a bit of sand? Thanks for sharing the photos. It sounds like a lovely place to visit that is for sure.

Enjoy the rest of your summer in your sweet home.

FlowerLady

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hi Kit, hope you had a fabulous time in Oregon, one of my favorite places too!... love your gorgeous photos!... the water looks so pretty and that dessert... YUM!... Hope you are enjoying a wonderful Summer!... xoxo Julie Marie

Laurie said...

What a wonderful place to relax and enjoy, Kit! I have never been there, but you make a good case for going! I am glad you had a good time.

We actually live in Laurel, but we will be moving to Billings to Josephine Crossing, a subdivision of homes that have the character of older homes. Our youngest daughter and her family live there. We will miss our home and yard, but the trade off is more time with family and friends.

Hugs,
Laurie

E. Charlotte said...

Love your photos! You had such an awesome trip! :D And your weather was great! So glad you had fun!

missshawna said...

Kit,
Thanks for stopping by our little church. I love your Oregon photos. I was born there and my folks live on the Oregon coast.It truly is a beautiful place.Thanks for sharing.
ShawNa~

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

The gorge is gorgeous!

The chocolate dessert looks good too!

Thank you for linking up!