May

May
(internet)

Friday, July 29, 2011

Bird Bath Completed!

Ahh, I love it when I get a project done. My process of creativity sometimes takes awhile. I have to stew on it for a bit; imagine where it will go, what colors to use, do I have the items I need. I knew I was finally ready to start when I found a vintage chip and dip bowl at a yard sale for only 50 cents. The two together reminded me of a flower, and I had a green vase, the rest is history. For those of you who would like to make one for yourself (it is super easy) here is a tutorial of all the steps. Have fun with it, the possibilities are endless!

I get all my glass ware from yard sales and thrift shops. I just find what ever appeals and save it till I get inspiration.

This is what I use to glue my pieces together. It is incredibly strong, waterproof and to this date none of my pieces have come apart. It is a bit smelly (strong vinegar scent) so I keep my craft room door closed and the windows open. You can usually find this at any hardware store. I get mine at Montana Ace Hardware.

I always start with a very heavy plate as the base and the first vase I fill with "ballast", in this case, little bits of tumbled glass. This makes the birdbath strong and heavy enough so that even a small pet cannot topple it. In this case I used a red plate (the color didn't really go with my design, but I knew it would not be seen when finished) I build in sections. I will glue the bottom section, then work on the top separately, letting the glue cure overnight. Finally I will put all the parts together, making sure they are all centered. If you want to embellish with additional pieces (marbles, shells, rocks, etc.) go for it and then let the piece cure for 24 hours. For this piece I kept it simple knowing that where I intended to put it, was busy enough.




Finished product! I just love it and it lends some sparkle to part of my shade garden. I took a shovel and made a slight indention where I wanted to place it and wiggled the red plate into the soil for strength, bringing some of the soil up onto the plate. Next up will be a hanging bird-feeder for my crab apple tree. All I need is one more plate, so off to yard sale again tomorrow for supplies!
Always, Kit

I am joining My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
and also, Inspiration Friday, At the Picket Fence.

10 comments:

T's Daily Treasures said...

That is one creative and very colorful birdbath. You are the 2nd blogger today to post about their homemade bird bath; so much cheaper and nicer than buying one in the market. Great job! Have a wonderful weekend. Tammy

The Boston Lady said...

Kit! What a wonderful idea! It turned out so sweet and looks perfect nestled amongst your plants. Lucky birds! Ann

Diane said...

This looks like fun! I love the way it turned out and I especially love the way it looks in the flowers. You know that I'm going to have to try one, too. Diane

Laurie said...

This is beautiful, Kit! You are so creative, and also kind to share this with us all. It looks great in your yard!

Susan said...

Hi Kit! Tammy told me to come to your blog to check out your bird bath! It's so adorable and very
colorful, too.

I had a post on a birdbath I made, too! Check it out http://writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com/ Take care! Susan

Lurena Sheary Williamson said...

Yet again, another clever creation!!! Love it

FlowerLady said...

Dear Kit ~ What a delightful, colorful creation by you. It will add more happiness to you gardens. You are such an inspiration with all of your crafts.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Susan said...

Kit, I just became your newest Follower. Hope you will consider following me, too. After I saw your glass-covered storm door, plus your liking of Susan Branch and Mary Englebreit, I knew we were kind of kindred spirits. That door is FABULOUS!

Take care and have a wonderful weekend. Susan

Joani said...

That is so pretty. I have seen several glass pieces at Goodwill and have thought about doing something like you did. I am inspired. Can't wait to see the bird feeder. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl De Beer said...

That is the second bird bath I have seen today that has blown my mind - I love it what an amazing idea. Now all I am wanting to do is go to some boot sales and look for some bowls and things - I love it.
Thank you for my birthday wishes.
Cheryl