October

October
(internet)

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Annual Family Picture

In our family we have quite a few traditions that we follow throughout the holidays. Our Tree trimming party, watching Christmas Vacation, the Light Tour of town, but one of my past favorites was the annual family picture, for the Christmas card. The year was 1986 and my youngest daughter was 17 months old and we lived far away from home in Colorado. I had the family dress up in their matching Denver Broncos gear and we snapped away, and a tradition was born. We continued until 2004, on our last family vacation together on the Oregon Coast. Through the years we marked accomplishments, vacations, our home and times spent together. Some years it was like pulling teeth to get everyone set up, dressed in matching outfits or home on the same day (except for E, she loved doing this each year). And tempers flared. In the "olden" days it was a bit more difficult to get the perfect shot. Digital cameras hadn't been invented and I insisted on about 20 pictures to get just the right one. To lighten the mood, we decided that if everyone behaved themselves for Mommy, we would take a funny picture. The girls loved that one, and some years we let it become our Christmas card insert. A few years back, I wanted to revisit this special time, so I attached all the copies I had kept, to the front of our frig. What a hit that was! It was wonderful to see how the family had grown and changed (especially my hair-do's) and every year I continue this "new" tradition and we have even started to add some new individual photos to the collection. Enjoy just a few of our favorite years!














6 comments:

  1. Oh that actually got me all teary! I love revisiting all those old photos. I don't know why ya'll fussed so much about taking them. I always thought it was fun! LOL. Glad we have all of those to look back on. Quite the happy family indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kit, here are the directions on how I made the tags.
    Most people use polymer clay which is more expensive. I bought a big bucket of Crayola air dry no bake white clay.

    Spread out a piece of parchment paper on a board. Roll the clay to desired thickness. cover rolled clay with a piece of linen or tea towel and roll lightly to leave impression on the clay. Using a cookie cutter cut your shapes. Dip your rubber stamp lightly in stamping ink and press lightly so as to leave an impression in the clay. Using a skewer make a hole. I couldn;t wait for them to dry (3 days) so i baked them in a 200 degree oven for 2 hours. Remove and add your ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kit what FABULOUS tangible memories of your family & Christmases past....THANK YOU for sharing them Lovey....!

    I hope you're all having a WONDERFUL week....!

    Cheers for now from Oz,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kit, what a great tradition and way to make your family's growth and progress. Not to mention those hairstyles we've all had! I love your comment on my blog about fastening the tree to a wall. Ha, ha. I think it's an initiation period each cat in our family has had to put us through and Darcy is doing her best to best the older cats. Our black cat Susie waited until the tree was decorated and the middle of the night to make her ascent and sent the whole thing crashing down. Scared her so badly she never did it again. But I like the wall idea! May have to use it. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kit, your family does the most fun things together!... I love all the photos on your fridge... such happy times and precious memories!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun to look over all those photos. Time travel of hairdos and outfits ... :D

    xxx
    z

    ReplyDelete