March 22, 1978

March 22, 1978
(internet)

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

On to the next holiday, but first.......

Some thoughts on Halloween 2010. It was a bit different this year, with one daughter in New Orleans and the hubby flying home from Orlando on Halloween. We mixed it up a bit. Saturday night, my youngest and I donned our fancy duds and headed out to a classy restaurant high above our town, to feast on Filet Mignon and rich desserts. It was such a "treat"! On Halloween, we picked up the hubby at the airport and headed out for lunch where he told us wonderful stories of the Harry Potter ride at Universal and the ducks at the Peabody Hotel. Oh, how I would have liked to see those ducks! Once home, my daughter helped put up the display in the front yard, which now consists of inflatable monsters, but used to have all sorts of scariness in the form of giant eyeballs, graveyards, and mechanical snakes! But as time went on (and we got older), we needed to pare down. We line the steps with fancy carved pumpkins, I light candles in the house, and the whole inside just glows orange. This year the weather was mild, so we had lots of treaters. Usually it's cold; or worse, snow. It has become a joke in Montana that everyone has the same costume, a heavy coat!....LOL We saw lots of great costumes, but my favorite was a little girl dressed as a chicken. Runner up? A robot made out of boxes and LED lites and spray painted silver. A homemade costume. So rare and reminds me of the times my husband made costumes with my girls. So now we are on to Thanksgiving and I am in the process of taking down the black and orange and putting up the gold and rust. I am dusting off my vintage ceramic turkeys and looking for my pilgrims. May you have a wonderful month and have lots to be thankful for. Like clearance Halloween candy.....LOL


(one of my favorite illustrations from Mary Englebreit)




6 comments:

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hi Kit... so happy you had a nice Halloween... I visited your daughter's blog and saw you two all fancied up and I also saw your YUMMY desserts you had!... we had zero kids, but my sister and my nieces brought all of the family pooches and we handed out doggie treats to them! I love that Mary Englebreit illustration... yes, Halloween is over, and my decorations put away too... I want to slowly enjoy November and Thanksgiving and not hurry into Christmas... xoxo Julie Marie

oldgreymare said...

Sold off all my Halloween collectibles last year, bought no candy, so no leftovers, but a nice glass (OK 2) of wine and a good book got me through.

Happy November!

xx

z

E. Charlotte said...

What a cute post! :) I love your new blog layout and all those cute pictures from your home on the sidebar. Halloween was a bit odd this year but it was so much fun! I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving now too, and have A LOT to be thankful for. :)

vintagesusie & wings said...

Sounds like some good Halloween fun & dinner out sounds fabulous & decadant...love it!!! Living in So Cal, I never really thought about SNOW on Halloween, arrrggghhhh. That would be tough & thus the costume of a big heavy jacket...LOL
Now on to the next holiday, Thanksgiving, just saying the word makes my mouth water.
Smiles Friend & Stay Warm...
Susie

Liz said...

Well that sounds like a wonderful Halloween weekend! :) Especially the fillet! :) I'm getting my fall out now to. This time of year flies by so fast. My favorite ME is the one with Santa holding the Christ child's hand outside a Christmas cottage door. It is so meaningful. Wouldn't it be wonderful to meet her some day?
Have a great weekend!
~Liz

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Kit,
Sounds like you had a lovely time. I read about your dinner night on your daughters blog. It made me hungry!!
We had only about 80 kids this year for Halloween. We usually have 200 plus, so not sure what happened this year. The weather was nice too.
I left the pumpkins out on the porch till Thanksgiving, but put away Halloween decor.
I also love that ME illustration. I am a fan of everything she creates.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie