April

April
(internet)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Little Hiccup in the Course of a Life.

My blogs are for the most part, upbeat and positive, and this one will be also with a slight exception. It deals with a negative issue. I am writing because I need an outlet for my thoughts, because someone out there may benefit from what I am dealing with and because I am on a fast before a procedure and I need something to do or I'll go crazy!.....LOL Summary of problem: found over the summer, that I could not dig holes for bushes anymore, mowing the grass made me want to sit down every 10 minutes and hauling a laundry basket up the steps of the basement had me so short of breath, I had to plunk my butt down and take a breather. Hmmm, odd. Now, I am not exactly an exercise nut, but I have been able to hold my own in my garden. Finally, (and why do we take so long to see a doctor) I had some blood tests run. Turns out because of some meds I take for diabetes, I had no B12 left in my body, which in turn eliminates the iron in the blood which makes one very tired and sick. Well, the B12 returned (via shots) but the iron, no where to be seen; still. Sooooo, I was started on iron pills, levels still dropping. Referred to a Hematologist (a very lovely and wonderful soul), but levels are still dropping. She ordered an Iron Infusion to the rescue. I had never heard of this and was eager to get this liquid energy in a bag! Went yesterday with my trusty side-kick and daughter (E.Charlotte) and had my first dose. I have to admit I was a bit nervous, but she kept my mind off the matters at hand, and I got thru it. Piece of cake. Well almost. I hear it will take me about 3 months to get back to where I should be, and I have to go every week for the next 2 months. Oy! And there is still the question as to why I am no longer making little red blood "boats" so I have some more tests to go thru in the next few weeks. But, as my girl says, they will fix it and she will go with me every time if I want her to. She is my rock right now, and I don't think I could do this without her. So we will pick up treats for everyone in the IV room, save all our juicy stories for that time to share, and watch as that bag of rusty liquid drips into my body, restoring me once more to my livelier self. And in three months, I will be as the picture below shows, I will be Iron Girl!

9 comments:

Julie Marie said...

Good luck to you Kit... I know your beautiful daughter is right and you will be fine... who knows why these things sometimes happen, but now you are on the right track...love to you... xoxo Julie Marie

Cottage Tails said...

That is not good news to read. soo glad you did take yourself off to the doctors! What an awesome dd you have. Weekly jabs are no fun - hope you are back to old self real fast!!!

Love Leanne

Tamarah said...

Oh Kit I'm sorry to hear you're going through but by the same token, I'm SO GLAD there is a relatively 'quick fox' for your deficiency....!

So LOVELY of your daughter to keep you company every week....What a PAIR you are....!!

You'll be back in the garden before you know it weedin' up a storm....!

Take care Lovey....!

Cheers,
Tamarah :o)

E. Charlotte said...

You're one tough and brave lady! We'll get your "boats" back to normal here in a jiffy! Love you and look forward to our next doctor "date!" :D

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

HI Kit ~ I am up very early this morning and just floating through Blogland. My best friend moved to Montana from CT 2 years ago so I am always interested in The Big Sky State. Im so glad you found out what the problem is. I suffer from acute anemia myself and ugh!! those iron pills are nasty - but for me, needed just to deal on a daily basis. I hope you are up and about asap ~ a good nap every now and then won't hurt either;)

FlowerLady said...

Oh dear Kit ~ I am sorry to hear this bit of news. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Glad your daughter is able to go with you for these treatments.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Jen said...

oh Kit, I wish you weren't dealing with this but I'm praying my butt off for you daily! I'm so glad you have E to take care of you, we're pretty lucky to have her!! Much Love

The Boston Lady said...

Kit, my hubby had a similar problem 2 years ago and was hospitalized and given blood transfusions to help bring his levels back up. It's kind of a scary time, but I'm glad you went to the doc and got some answers and solutions. My husband bounced back after a couple of months, but some of our friends still refer to him as "Iron Man". Glad you have your daughter for company during your treatments and best wishes that you will feel back to your usualy energetic self soon. Ann

oldgreymare said...

Hope you are back in the garden, well I guess not soon, for Petes sake you'll have snow in a second..but hope you'll be perky by Spring!

And rest is a good prescription I agree. : D

xx

z