March 22, 1978

March 22, 1978
(internet)

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Fantastic California Adventure!

I have been such a procrastinator, I apologize. It has been a week since we got back and it seems all I have been doing is working in the yard and taking care of household business. But now all is caught up and I am ready to share some picts and experiences. First off and most important, my daughter and I had a fabulous time. We packed so much into 4 days it would make your head spin. From the moment we took off from the Missoula airport we were in fun mode. This was our "Princess" trip complete with surprise tiara's on the plane. We looked gorgeous! Landing at John Wayne airport in LA, we got our rental car and with the help of our GPS, we were off to find Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills. What a lovely street, and the stores! Oh my, Versace, Cartier, Tiffany's. The place was crawling with tourists even tho the stores were all closed. (which is probably a good thing for this economic shopper) We snapped picts and enjoyed all the glamour. Even saw a black Rolls Royce with a driver and body guard and two mysterious people in the back. Hmmm, who could it have been? Fun to imagine. Off to find the Hollywood sign and People's Revolution on Melrose Ave. E just had to have her pict taken in front and I wasn't about to let her down. We found both and headed back to the hotel (jiving to rap music) very happy, tired and excited about the next day. Disneyland! We started the day getting a special birthday button for E to wear, and the whole time we were there, everyone from perfect strangers to cast members wished her a Happy Birthday and she loved it!. She also seemed to get free desserts with every meal. I liked that part too! First ride had to be "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" (her favorite) and from there on, we hit as many rides as we could fit in. We had a special appointment tho. A visit to the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique to have our hair styled so that we would indeed look like princesses. What a crazy fun experience! By the time we got done, we had the whole place laughing and cheering us on. You have to remember, we were the only two people that were above the age of 6 getting their hair done. My E came out looking very much like the beautiful Audrey Hepburn and I was a rockin' diva princess with multi colored hair, with lots of glitter!
We scurried off to California Adventure for our special lunch with the princesses and to see what this new park was like. As you enter, "California" music greets you and makes you smile. The place is all about sunshine, beaches and board walks. Our lunch was fab, and we got to meet all the Disney Princesses including Ariel, my daughters favorite one. My fav? Cinderella. We hit the boardwalk and rode the biggest Ferris Wheel I have ever seen. And checked out all the attractions. Such a fun, happening place and so much to do. What I like about these two parks, is that you can hop between the two, catching parades and shows and eating at special places whenever you want. And we wanted the Haunted Mansion and the Pirates of the Caribbean. Later, after a much needed coffee break, we saw Fantasmic, the night show (which always makes me cry) and the fireworks over the castle. Which had an new feature of not only Tinkerbell flying thru the sky, but Dumbo too! That made me cry also. ...LOL To finish the evening, it would be riding the Teacups in the night. Such a party!Day two! We rode as many rides as we could, visited Tom Sawyer's Island, the Tiki Room and had a scrumptious lunch at the Blue Bayou (the restaurant that you float by when you ride the Pirates of the Carib ride). It was magical! We sat at a candlelit table in the dark (but it was actually 3 in the afternoon) and enjoyed a great feast and had the extra fun of waving to the folks as they floated by .....LOL Now we were ready for a little shopping. We had to get our hats! E chose Mickey ears with fireworks & the castle, and I had to have a Peter Pan hat, complete with red feather.Dinner was at the Wine Country Trattoria which came with a special ticket to the World of Color show. A wonderful light show, full of Disney music and water! It brought tears to the eyes and a smile on every face. We were so energized we headed over to the Glow Fest where we danced and sang with hundreds of people. What an incredible feeling!But just like Cinderella and the ball ending at midnight, so too does the Park. We wandered arm and arm over to Disneyland to say our goodbyes. Found ourselves in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle and the statue of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse. A fitting place to say Thanks for the great time! But the story doesn't end there. We had one more day and even tho we had to catch a plane later, we headed out to get some sand between our toes. First up, Laguna Beach. Pretty and rather wild looking. But I wanted to see a REAL California beach, so we headed north to Huntington Beach (I had heard it was a Surfer's paradise....LOL). But a sign caught our eye on the way ~ Fashion Island ~ and we just had to stop and E bought the killer of high heel shoes at Nordstroms. Blue velvet and very fancy. She is going to look so great on Stiletto Night.
Yes, we did make it to the beach and it was all I had imagined it would be. Hot, sunny, lifeguards (cute ones too!) lots of people, palm trees and the sea. So cool and refreshing. And then these two very happy campers, caught their plane back home to Montana, with the song "California Gurls" playing in their ears and a bottle of white wine to sip, and yes I have to say it, and they traveled home happily ever after!

10 comments:

Zuzu said...

OhMyGosh, it looks like you had a wonderful time! LOVE the hairstyles & all the smiles!

Happy weekend, Kit!

Julie Marie said...

Hi Kit, wow, what a fun trip! You and your daughter are adorable and I LOVE your funky hairstyle! Sounds like your days were jam packed full of fun and good food, sunshine and sea air... Happy birthday to your beautiful daughter! xoxo Julie Marie

Liz said...

NOT FAIR! I just dropped my daughter off! We won't be able to do one of these trips for quite a while. We did this when she was in 7th grade and will do it again! :) SOOOOO much fun! :)

That picture in Montana was a rest stop on I90 somewhere before Missoula. We were sooo incredibly tired at that point. But not to tired to see how beautiful it was. :)

~Liz
P.S. My fav is Pirates of the Caribbean!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What wonderful memories you made! I love, love, love that you both got your hair done. Just priceless!

oldgreymare said...

Kit,

These are memories to warm your hearts the rest of your lives! I was tearful reading about your trip, and shocked that you're a such a cool Mom to do that to your hair..Well, it's simply inspirational, and touched me..isn't it wonderful how a blog amongst virtual strangers reaches out and grabs your heart and pulls you in?

Enjoy your week back home. The "happiest place on earth" may just be right where you are.


z

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Kit,
WOW what a wonderful and exciting trip to California and Disneyland. Happy Birthday to your dear daughter. She looks great in those awesome shoes. Love the pic of you girls with the hair designs. What fun!!

Everything you describe brings back wonderful memories of my visit to Disneyland and my California trip many years ago. Thank you for sharing your fabluous time together. What special M&M's(memory makers)
you made with your daughter. Your pics are wonderful!!

Thank you for stopping by today. So glad to be home again too.
Have a great nite.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Uncanny Festoon said...

What a fun mother and daughter trip! You gals did so much fun stuff!That is my hometown, so good to see the pictures...make me home sick. Such killer shoes! Glad you had such a great time!

Joy.....................always

Laurie said...

First off, how did I miss this post?? I am sorry to be so late to the party! And party it was - so much fun to see the pictures and read about the great time you 2 MT gals had in CA! What wonderful memories you have of this fantastic trip together.
Blessings,
Laurie

E. Charlotte said...

Hey you, travel buddy! I've been thinking about this trip a lot lately. I wanna go back! It was so much fun to spend time with you, just us girls! Thanks for making it happen. :) Love you!

Emily said...

Ooooh, I'm jealous!!! I lost my mom to cancer 7 years ago, and wow, do I miss her! Seeing the photos of your trip together makes me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I am glad you got to have such a great getaway together.