December

December
(internet)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back to School!

Well, it has been an incredible Summer filled with lots of fun. Projects, trips, gardening, you name it. But now the "school bells" are calling me and I must return to the land of teenagers, food and FUN! In a word, or maybe three ~ to Lunch Lady Land. Yes, I am one of those chosen few who get to serve Sloppy Joes, make endless sandwiches and clean tables. And not only do I do all the latter, but I get to run my own program (my official title is Head Cook) and I just love love love it! When I fell into this job 15 years ago, I never imagined that one day I would have my own kitchen, that I would eagerly go to work each day and that I would meet the most incredible kids. My school is an alternative high school, and if ever anyone got a "calling" to be someplace; that person was me. I arrived 7 seasons ago, and tomorrow my Jeep will be full of all the items that I need to make a sterile school kitchen into something warm, inviting and FUN! Posters, magnets, my various collections, bulletin board, tablecovers, flower arrangements, quirky art, kitschy aprons and scarves & Smarties candies. Check and check! By Monday (the first day of school) I will have the place transformed and the kids will nudge each other and think ~ "Hmmmm, she's alternative too!" :)

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun job! I home you have a great year! :) Love your patio!!! :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kit can you post some pictures of where you work. I think it is wonderful that you have a job that you just love.

    Have a great year.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowerlady ~ I will post some picts when I get all my decor up and going. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kit... I'll bet the kids just adore you and love having their cafeteria all fixed up cute... Like FlowerLady, I can't wait to see your photos of it! And I think it is wonderful you have a job you love and that makes you so happy!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful that you have a job you love, Kit! I really like the touches you'll be adding and am looking forward to seeing pictures. The cafeterias of my childhod were remarkably unremarkable!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my place and leaving a sweet message! If you get a chance, you might want to pop back and check out my post, "To Cook Or Not To Cook"...a funny little piece about my own lack of enthusiasm for cooking...:)

    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Kit, where were you when I was teaching? The kids and staff would've loved having you around our school! Don't get me wrong, we had a great staff cookin' up yummy food, but there was no kitsch!! Have a great time!
    Blessings,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to see some pix of your "alternative" kitchen! So nice that you have a job you love, and how wonderful that is for the students at your school.
    Jane - Jacksonville

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I hope you have an awesome year! I'll be sure to come visit. :)

    (Love your blog profile pic too!)

    ReplyDelete