October

October
(internet)

Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Very First Mother's Day

The days have lined up and it turns out that my oldest daughter's birthday falls on the day of the week she actually was born. A Tuesday. So it got me to reminiscing, a lot. I was so very very very pregnant and pretty well done with the whole experience and it seemed like the end wasn't in site. The man, (of course it had to have been a man) who came up with due dates should have really considered the female mind and automatically tacked on an additional 2 weeks before he opened his mouth. Then we wouldn't have felt so betrayed when our own body failed to yield our little package in the correct amount of time. Anyway, I digress. My Doc had a wonderful idea and suggested I attend the Blue Angels air show that was visiting my town Mother's Day weekend, on hopes that all the excitement, exercise, the site of large airplanes, and the concern of being trapped in all that traffic would bring on labor. It didn't. Tho I had really hoped for a helicopter ride to the hospital. Sunday arrived and getting a bit cranky, I wondered where was my Mom's Day gift. Okay, I agree I had yet to produce the required child to actually celebrate, but hey, I was almost there! My darling loving husband who I thought the world of, explained to me that I "wasn't his Mother" and that I had't actually had a baby yet. You can see the fireworks from where you are sitting can't you?.....LOL A little while later I was presented with a blender. Now, don't judge, that is what I asked for. I thought I could whip up baby food but I actually used it for many many Strawberry Daiquiris over the course of the last 27 years. Monday arrived and it was just another day, I tweaked the nursery decorations, read, wandered and fretted. And finally went to bed, again, not really a Mom yet. But...... around midnight, my water broke! A sign, a clear sign, that I was going to have my baby, finally. Now I took all the classes and I knew in my heart I had hours of labor to go thru, but for some reason I decided I had to get to the hospital immediately. My husband asked if he could put his clothes on first, and away we went to spend the next 20 hours waiting for her to arrive. And arrive she did, and now I was truly a Mommy! Thanks J for making my blender legit!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds so much like how I felt with my first child who was also a girl. The waiting can be torture.

    So was she actually born on Mother's Day?

    Blessings,
    Kimberlynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kit... Happy Mother's Day to you tomorrow... hope you can whip up one of those yummy strawberry daqueries! xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! What is with the water breaking in the middle of the night? Same thing happened to me... Oh well. I was happy about it because I was horrified that it would happen in public. :)

    I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day! :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog, made me smile! :) So, yeah I'm commenting....lol! You write beautifully, much love!

    ReplyDelete