December

December
(internet)

Sunday, April 25, 2010

How I Met my Home!

Good Morning! I am up early on this very fine Sunday and just found a wonderful blog (Our Suburban Cottage) that is having a House Party. Great stories about the houses we love. Here is my tale.

We happened upon our home in a round-about way. My husband had just hours before, had surgery on his wrist, so our search on this day would only last as long as his pain meds. After 3 houses, I was just not feeling the love and was ready to give up when the realtor mentioned another house. A very green house; on the walls, the carpet, the siding. Rather run down, and needing some TLC. When we pulled up, here was a home that reminded me of a children's drawing with it's boxy shape. Lots of chipped paint, a huge wheelchair ramp, but oh, the glorious blooming apple trees out front. When we stepped inside, the combined living room and dining area were flooded in light. All the owners furnishings were still in the rooms and it seemed like we had stepped back in time. (they were an elderly couple, and the gentleman had just passed away and the missus was in a nursing home) As I wandered the house, a feeling came over me, part sad and part jubilant. The feeling that a life was ending here, but also that one was about to begin. I felt that the house needed me and that I belonged here. It seemed to take forever before all the papers were signed and the house was ours on a lovely May day. But now almost 20 years later, we are still here, and we are still in love. We have raised our two girls here, did lots and lots of painting and remodeling, and planted many a tree and bush. We have put our stamp on this little place and I believe the past owners are very pleased and constantly surprised by us. Sometimes a feeling will come over me, and I can almost hear them say, " So what's next?!"

9 comments:

  1. I remember having mixed feelings about that green house! Ick, with a red foundation! But it did have a super cool attic! :) You guys turned it into a beautiful home, and I loved growing up under that roof. I'm glad you both could see through the rough exterior into the heart of that house way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kit, what a wonderful story! Your house looks so cozy and inviting, and I am sure the previous owners who have passed on are looking down and smiling, knowing that their dear home is being so lovingly cared for... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kit. I can tell from your picture that there is a lot of love in your home. It is such a calm & cozy place. I love the large window and cottage touches such as the potted plants on the steps and the tea cups which adds a touch of whimsy. Thanks for your post today. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story! Your home looks very welcoming!
    I hope you will show us more. I love the green. We don't have so much here ya know? Thanks for taking my button. It looks good! :) he he!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet story, Kit, and your home shines with love!
    When I was 20, I moved into a 1930s cottage in Saratoga, CA. It had a similar story and I sanded and painted everything until it shined. The garden was such a beauty - filled with roses and hydrangea and a variety of trees!

    I love your last sentence... " So what's next?!" :)

    Happy day to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Kit, how I can relate! We bought our 1908 house 26 years ago, and it was like going back in time with the gold and orange carpeting and dingy wallpaper. It had an old plywood fence (partial) and when we took it down, a passerby said "You've done so much to the place."!! We are STILL working on it, but I love this old house!

    Your home look so welcoming, and I am glad you were the ones to bring new life into it!
    Blessings to you,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always believed when it comes to buying a home..."you'll know it when you see it". It sounds to me like you just knew. I love your home...it's charming just like your kitchen.

    Blessings,
    Kimberlynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful story. I love to hear the why's behind one of life's biggest purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kit -

    Thank you for sharing this story. I think it's wonderful when someone buys a home because it tugs at their heartstrings instead of being 'a great investment.' You were clearly looking for a home and not a house. I have no doubt the previous owners are smiling down.

    - Deborah

    ReplyDelete