June

June

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter!

Oh how I love this holiday! It brings out the kid in me. I remember we used to get these wonderful chocolate eggs, that were like a little gift box, and inside were chocolate kisses. And a lot of my friends didn't get them, but got coconut eggs, or those strange fruit and nut ones (yuck) so these made me feel very special. We always got an Easter outfit and I adored getting all dressed up. Patten leather shiny shoes, a frilly dress and always a hat. We would promenade all over the neighborhood after church and again I felt so special. (I am the youngest in the pict) When I had my girls, it was my turn to make them feel special. We had all sorts of fun events leading up to the big day. From making Easter bonnets, to having our very own egg hunts, to the dying of the eggs. This was their Daddy's area of expertise! We would set up our special white glass mugs (used especially for this task so you can see the colors better) in would go the vinegar and water and the special fizzy tablet. The girls would take turns, with the youngest one always plopping her eggs in with a flourish and a resounding "Plop and crack".....lol They would stir and stir until the eggs were just the color they wanted, and then out to dry and to add stickers or little hats and faces. But the fun wasn't over just yet. Out would come the paper towels and paint brushes and my young ladies would "paint" with the dye and make the loveliest of pictures. Then for the finale, the swirling would begin. Both sitting up on the counter, their Dad would pour the dye, ever so slowly and carefully into the sink, adding the colors they would tell him to, to make the most interesting combinations, as they spiraled down the drain. A round of applause as the final cup was emptied and the big smiles told me all I needed to know - they felt very special.

8 comments:

E. Charlotte said...

Oh! That blog got me teary, remembering being little and doing eggs with Daddy. I love love love the picture of you as a little girl! I didn't know you got a new Easter outfit each year! Grandma did know how to rock a holiday, didn't she? You got that gene x 100! :D I just adore this holiday too and I am sooo excited to hang out tomorrow and celebrate. Love you so!!

FlowerLady said...

Lovely Easter memories you have of your family.

Have a lovely Easter Resurrection day.

FlowerLady

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hi Kit, your Easter memories are soo sweet! I too remember those fruit and nut eggs... and I agree, YUCK! Chocolate ones were sooo much better! What an adorable photo of you in your Easter outfits! And we always dyed our eggs the same way and had so much fun! Thanks for visiting me today... your sunrise service sounds so beautiful... Blessings to you on this Easter Sunday... xoxo Julie Marie

Leanne said...

You look soo excited in the photo.
Thanks for voting Crystal for our family - I'm looking for your email address so I can email you privately.

Love Leanne NZ

fairfieldhouse said...

Hi Kit,

Wishing you and your family a blessed Easter and all the wonders of spring!

Deborah

Liz said...

Oh you look so cute! I could tell right away which one you were by that gorgeous smile! :)

This reminds me of growing up. And actually this year is the first year that I didn't buy my daughter an Easter outfit. :( She's 23 now and fully determined to make her own way. sigh....

Thanks for the memories! :)
~Liz
P.S. I love your background!

Laurie said...

What a wonderful post, Kit, and you still have that great smile I see in the picture of your youth! Your Easter memories are so much like mine, and this year we were so blessed to dye eggs with our granddaughter. She is nearly 2 and she had a grand time at an Easter egg hunt her parents took her to over the weekend. Such wonderful memories!
Blessings to you,
Laurie

Zuzu said...

Ahhhhh, such a sweet post!!! Hope your Easter was lovely!
Hugs,
Zuzu